Thursday 10 January 2008

Spanish Christmas candy

In a way I'm glad Christmas is over. I've gained too much weight lately and I don't like that. Not just for the way I look but most of all, for the impact it has on my health. I feel tired all the time and I feel exhausted when I climb the stairs. I hate that feeling!

This is what I have to avoid, Spanish Christmas candy:



I've almost run out of candy and I'm definitely NOT getting any more. Enough is enough! There will be a Christmas this year too and then I will have another go at the candy. Until then, Christmas candy is a total NO NO.

The candy in the colorful wrappings in the photo is called mantecados, and is made by flour, sugar and lard. It dates back to the 16th century. I don't know if this is true or not, but I've heard that they used mantecados during the Inquisition to see who was a Christian and who wasn't, because both Jews and Muslims aren't allowed to eat fat from pigs. People went around offering mantecados and those who didn't accept to eat one was taken to prison, accused of not being Christian.

0 comments: