Thursday 10 January 2008

A different part of the Mediterranean

I'm very proud of being a "daughter of the Mediterranean Sea". I truly believe that all the different nations from around the Mediterranean sea have the same roots and much more in common than we might think. In spite of different languages and religions our cultures are very much alike. I'm sure I'd feel perfectly at home in Greece or Egypt, for instance, if I ever had the chance to go.

One place I'd love to visit is Malta. I think it's a fascinating nation, actually the smallest EU country. Malta lies south of Sicily, east of Tunisia, and north of Libya. Malta has a very interesting history. It's home to the oldest freestanding structure in the world, built before 3500 BC. Phoenicians, Carthage, Romans, Byzantines and Arabs have had colonies there. The official languages on Malta are Maltese (a Semitic language written in a variation of the Latin alphabet.) and English. There are Cheap Hotels in Malta, so who knows, I might be able to go there in a not too far away future.

I've never been to Greece and since we owe so much to the Greeks and their ancient cultures I'd love to go there. I actually studies Ancient Greek for a year. It was a lot of fun. Modern Greek is a totally different language so my knowledge won't help me at all. Never mind. English will work just fine. I'd like to go there and stay at some of the Cheap Hotels in Crete for a week or so and then go to one of the Cheap Hotels in Cyprus. Cyprus is the third largest island in the Mediterranean Sea, after Sicily and Sardinia. It is situated in the eastern Mediterranean south of Turkey, north of Egypt, and east-southeast of Greece. There's an ongoing conflict and the island is de facto divided into 4 parts. Greek and Turkish are official languages, but English also works well. Crete is a less conflictive place. It is the fifth largest island in the Mediterranean and the biggest of the Greek islands. Crete was the centre of the Minoan civilization (ca. 2600–1400 BC), the oldest form of Greek and hence European civilization. Nowadays, Crete is one of the most popular holiday destinations in Greece. I guess I'd prefer to look for things related to King Minos instead of lying on the beach, but whatever makes people happy.*lol*

0 comments: