Sunday 13 January 2008

Island hopping

A friend of mine used to travel a lot in Greece. For several years she went to the same place every summer and then traveled on from there. She used to travel by ferry in Greece and go from one island to another. That way she got to know the country and the language very well and she still speaks some Greek. She has told me a lot about her adventures, like when she went to Turkey from Greece on a Greek ferry and was the only woman on board. She spent the day in a Turkish village, returning to Greece at night on the same ferry. While in Turkey she got to know a guy who wanted to marry her.*lol* That's love at first sight. But she wasn't interested in marrying someone she just had known for a few hours. Poor guy, his heart was broken. ;-) At least until the next time a blond girl happened to arrive in his village. Who knows, maybe got lucky and ended up marrying a European girl....

I really like the way my friend traveled, taking her time and going from one place to another. She stayed on an island for as long as she wanted, visiting villages, museums and monuments. I guess she took some time off to go to the beach as well, but that was not her main purpose. I'd like to travel like that, just taking my time to really get to know a place before I move on to another. I think most people are too busy on their vacations nowadays. People tend to see and do so many things, like the more you do the better. But I think traveling should be more about quality and having the time to really explore a place. In most places, you find the most interesting things off the tourist tracks. You normally eat better where the locals eat, not in the restaurants with the menus in many different languages.

In case you want to travel in the Greek archipelagos but are afraid to travel the way my friend did, you can always buy the Greece ferry tickets on line so you can make your travel plans from home. But make sure you have enough time to really explore one island before you move on to the next, because there are so many things to discover in Greece. I wish I could go there one day...

0 comments: