Saturday 1 December 2007

Final update on the Organization Challenge

Well, I didn't finish on time. :-( I had so many things not happening, things that I counted on, like getting my kitchen furniture and getting the furniture for the boys' rooms. Well, that didn't happen, so the things that were supposed to go back into the kitchen are still in the living room. And there are still two boxes of kids' stuff in there. But I'm still pleased with what I've done. The living room looks A LOT better! Just look for yourself:

BEFORE:


AND AFTER:

There is still a lot to do. I have to "dress" the sofas. I washed the covers but didn't have time to put them back on (you can see them on the right hand corner of the sofa). I still need to get the CD:s and DVD:s organized and I need to get rid of the remaining boxes. But at least we do have a working living room again and we're able to sit down and watch TV.

1. What was the hardest part of the challenge for you and were you able to overcome it?
Having to rely on other people to do their part and in the end realize that they were not going to do their part. In the end I just had to get going and do the best I could of the situation, which meant I did not finish on time. :(

2. Tell us what kind of changes/habits you have put into place in order for your area/room to maintain its new order?
As soon as I finish the CD/DVD part of the room I won't accept any CD/DVD:s on the table anymore. I don't want to have a lot of things just hanging around, for weeks, like before.

3. What did you do with the “stuff” you were able to purge out of your newly organized space?
Most of it went to its' proper place in another room or to a new place in the home. So I didn't just throw things away from the living room, I actually took the time to find a new and better place for each item. I also gave away a few things, so they could bless someone else. The rest of it went into the garbage, because it was either broken or something that had to be thrown away anyway.

4. Now that you have completed the challenge, do you think having and keeping your space organized will make a difference in your life?
Oh yes!!! Having regained the living room makes such a huge difference in my life. Hopefully I'll be able to have people coming over again, because I no longer have to be ashamed of my living room.

6. Why do you think you should win the challenge?
I know I'm not going to win anything, but if I did have a chance I'd say that I deserved to win because living in the middle of a makeover is really, really hard and getting back on your feet isn't easy. Anyway, I had a good time doing this and participating in the challenge really kept me motivated and helped me get on with things and not give up. :-)

The other participants are found at I'm an Organizing Junkie

7 comments:

Dawn said...

Even though you didn't finish on time, it looks like you did a great job with what you did finish. It must be nice to be able to actually use the room. It's hard when the rest of the family won't help, but hopefully they will like it being organized as much as you do and will help keep it that way. Good job.

Mayogi said...

Thanks Dawn! Yes, it's great to have the living room/family room back because we have really missed having a place where we can sit down and watch a movie together or just chat for a while.

The problem isn't my kids, they do help me from time to time. The problem is the carpenter who's been working on a few shelves and cabinets since August is not finished yet. :-( And as long as I don't get the kitchen fixed I can't really get the rest of the apartment done. So I'm kind of stuck with my apartment looking like this, but I'm doing as much as I can, due to circumstances.

Cathi said...

Hey, you finished and that is what is important. I finished my room on November 29th and finished posting it at 11:57 PM. Unfortunately for me...I am a procrastinator to the very end!!

Mom of 3 said...

I think you did a really, really good job. It's not easy being organized while there is work going on in the house. I hope that the work is finished soon so you can have your kitchen back :)

Jennifer B said...

It may not be "done" but it's a fabulous start. I wouldn't have known you weren't done.

ps love the pattern of your couch.

Lindsey said...

Wow, looks like you did a fantastic job getting everything cleaned up and stored - great job!

~Rhen @yestheyareallmine said...

Wow, that is a big transformation!!