Tuesday 2 October 2007

Music classes

My kids study music at school, one hour a week, and they learn how to play the flute. They love it! I think it’s great that they learn to play an instrument at school. I’ve read somewhere that a person with a good ear for music has a good ear for languages as well and that you can actually improve that skill. I hope it’s true because my kids already speak many languages and I hope they will learn some more as they grow up.

I’ve been thinking about taking them to guitar classes, but I’m not sure if they are still too young. G is 8 and B is 10. B talked about learning to play the guitar before summer vacation but then he changed his mind. I don’t know why. I guess it’s normal in a kid his age. They change their minds all the time.

I think I’ll have a little talk with them tonight. My kids don’t have any activities outside of school and I think that maybe it could be good for them. And since they are not much into sports and such, music might be what they need. Actually I’d prefer to take them to yoga, but since there is no such thing around here I have to look for something that might be available.

There are 2 music academies in Tetuán. One is the Conservatory and it’s very expensive. I couldn’t afford that one. Then there’s the non official one, which still is expensive but not quite as much as the Conservatory. And then there’s the cultural center where I work. I’m not sure there are going to be guitar classes this year, it depends on if my boss finds a new teacher. The classes are affordable and the best thing is that it’s within walking distance from home.

0 comments: