Tuesday 3 July 2007

Arabic Music - Cheb Mami

I know that Arabic artists aren't all that famous outside the Arab speaking world and that really is a pity, because there are many, many great Arabic artists who really deserve to get more fame. And since I'm a music freak and I LOVE Arabic music I just have to share some of my favorite songs with you.

Today I want to introduce you to CHEB MAMI (real name Ahmed Khelifati Mohamed), an Algerian raï singer born in 1966. Raï is a very popular music style in North Africa and France today and the songs are sung in a mix of Arabic, French and Berber. Visit Mami's official website.

First of all, this is a great song by Cheb Mamy. The song is called "Douhi Aliya" and was released as part of the soundtrack for the French/Arabic film "100% Arabic". A great movie!!!! It also featured Cheb Khaled, my all time favorit Arabic artist.



Sting is an artist who knows how to appreciate good music, no matter the origin. Here's Sting singing a duet with Cheb Mami.



Samira Said is a Moroccan singer who is very famos in the Arabic world. Here's one of my favourite songs, a duet with Cheb Mami.



Cheb Mami also sang a duet with Italian singer Zucchero (Remember him???) and here's the result:

0 comments: