Sunday 3 February 2008

A horrible weekend

Oh boy, am I glad it's Monday tomorrow? This has been an awful weekend. Living alone with a 10 year old tween and an 8 year old can be really tough sometimes.

My son B usually is the sweetest person on earth. He has some special needs, due to asphyxia at birth and ECMO. There are some things he can't handle very well, like being tired, being hungry and being in crowds. He doesn't know how to read the "unwritten rules" of society and can't stand stress and unplanned situations. He is very, very intelligent, actually he's highly gifted and much smarter than most kids his age. When there's a lot going on and he's tired and hungry at the same time things can get really bad. Friday was one of those days. He got into a frenetic state, started to throw things around, hitting his brother and me, he kicked me, spat at me, broke some of his toys, wrote things on the walls.... The only thing I could do was to throw myself on him, hold his arms and legs until he finally calmed down and fell asleep... It happened twice on Friday and once on Saturday. It left the three of us exhausted and I just had to take a nap today because of all the stress. It's been a horrible, horrible weekend.

1 comments:

Amy said...

OH my... I'm sorry you had such a bad weekend. I'm saying prayers for all of you!

In answer to your question re: my kids' preemie issues: yes. Both have had some things come up that can be traced to their prematurity. DS started Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, and Physical Therapy in May of 2007. He's now down to going just once a month- he made excellent progress! DD has some minor behavioral issues that we attribute to her prematurity, also.