Wednesday 9 January 2008

The Muslim New Year

The Muslim new year starts tomorrow or maybe the day after tomorrow (Friday). The Muslim calendar follows the moon and not the sun, as the Christian calender does. That way one can never know for sure when a special occasion will occur and everything goes into "stand by" the day before. If there's a full moon, then there's a new month and the holiday begins.

My kids' school, just like most schools, will be closed both on Thursday and Friday, just in case. Friday is a holiday anyway, it's Independence Day. But Moroccans don't celebrate much, at least not in public. Everything is done at home, together with family and friends.

So far we don't have any plans for these days off. All I know is that I HAVE to study, so I guess we'll spend a lot of time in the library at work, because the kids can play there, with the other teachers and in the patio, while I study. I'm so grateful for my friends. They take turns in playing/talking with my kids, so I can study.

0 comments: