Tuesday 4 December 2007

WW - And the bride arrived...



****************************************************************************

I know this is supposed to be a "wordless" post but there have been so many questions about the box that I thought I'd better answer them here.

Morocco is a Muslim country and according to Moroccan traditions the bride has her wedding party with her family and friends and the groom has his party elsewhere with his family and friends. The bride's party usually begin around 6 PM and ends around midnight (but that depends a lot on local traditions) while the groom's party usually begins after 8 PM and often doesn't end until 6 AM or later. When the bride's party is over, she gets into a box like this one to be carried to the groom's home or the place where his party is. On the way to the groom they have to pass by a mosque and a special prayer is said to wish the girl luck and happiness in her marriage. The box is TINY! I would never be able to get in there, I'd be claustrophobic. *lol* The girls here grow up knowing that they are going into the box and think that's okey. But things are changing here and nowadays a lot of brides refuse to go into the box and go by car instead. *lol* I took the photo at a wedding I went to last year. It was around 8 AM and the wedding just ended and the staff began to clean the place. Therefore the broom. *lol* I wanted to have a picture of the box so I sneaked up when no one was around and took the photo.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Not sure of the customs but that looks interesting.

maggie at http://maggie.coffeeshopmafia.com

Sandee said...

Did she fly in on that broom? Well, I don't know the custom either. Haven't a clue. Have a great WW. :)

Anonymous said...

I have no clue what that is about. Did the bride ride in that or is it her headdress?

http://pixelonepurltwo.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

what beautiful color!

Digital Flower Pictures said...

That tile work looks amazing.

Happy WW!

Natalie said...

Is the bride in that thing?

My Wordless Wednesday is up too! :)

**"Liza"** said...

is that your tradition for your wedding? hmm interesting...

Cathi said...

A very interesting tradition. I do so love learning about cultures in other countries.