Thursday 6 December 2007

So grateful

When my son B was born he suffered from a thing called Meconium Aspiration Syndrome (MAS). It is an extremely critical situation because as many as 20 % of the babies in the US that suffers from MAS die and among those who survive most kids suffer from a series of long term effects. Outside of the USA the mortality rate is even bigger. My son is 10 years old now but he still suffers from some of the side effects, like asthma and poor coordination. But he was lucky, he got the care he needed. At the hospital where he was born there was no special team for newborns with lung diseases so he had to be transported to another hospital. At that time there was only one hospital in the whole northern part of Europe with ECMO-machines and that was the hospital he was sent to.

When there is an emergency such as my son's I'm glad there are things like air ambulance. They are aircrafts with state of the art medical equipment, flight nurses and flight paramedics on board. Like a miniature hospital really.

I'm so grateful my son is alive! And every time I think about how close we were to losing him I start to cry. It really is a miracle when someone as sick as he was is able to pull through and survive. I'm so tremendously grateful to the doctors, surgeons, nurses and every one else who took care of my son and helped him back to life.

0 comments: