Sunday 23 December 2007

Oh boy, what a trip!

I'm FINALLY in Stockholm, Sweden. We left home in Morocco on Wednesday morning and the plans for that day were : cross the border, take the ferry from Ceuta to Algeciras, take the bus to Malaga, spend the day in Malaga and then spend the night at a friend's together with her and her family. Then on Thursday morning we were going back to the center of Malaga to do some Christmas shopping before taking the local train to the airport. We would go Malaga - Frankfurt (Germany) and then finally Frankfurt - Stockholm and spend the night at my parents'.

Well, things did not turn out that way. First of all, we missed the ferry we had planned taking. The next one usually goes one hour later. But not this time. Due to really, really bad weather (the waves were over 4 meters high and the winds were strong) they had to close the harbours on both sides of the strait. I'll tell you more about our adventure once we're back in Morocco, because right now I'm using my dad's computer and he told me NOT to use it. *lol* So I'd better hurry before he finds out I've been using it... ;-)

We had to spend the night in the harbour, sleeping on the floor. Now I understand what it feels like to be a refugee because we were really stranded there, we could not go back home and we could not get out of Ceuta. Those were really long 36 hours we spent in the harbour, without being able to go anywhere and not being able to eat properly. But you have to look at the bright side of life, always, so we tried to make the best we could out of it. We met a lot of people and made new friends. We ate military foods (they gave us food boxes) and slept on military blankets. All in all a very different experience. So this is a Christmas we never will forget.

We did manage to get to Stockholm. One day later than expected and extremely tired and dirty but now we're here, and I feel really blessed to be alive and together with my family.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL AND A MERRY CHRISTMAS!

0 comments: