Wednesday 4 July 2007

Preparing for class

Yesterday I went to work to talk to my boss. Finally I got the books we'll use in my next class. Oh boy, am I nervous or what? This will be the first time I teach Spanish to a whole class. So far I've only done private classes or small groups and without following a special book or predetermined plan. This time everything will be different.

My boss thinks I will have about 8 or 9 students in my class and they will probably know a little Spanish, enough to make simple phrases but that's it. So I just can't base my classes on conversation, I need to work on all the language skills. Besides, each lesson will be 2 hours long and 5 days a week, so it's going to be HARD work to plan my classes! But such a great experience for me. If I do good at this one, I know I'm a great teacher and then going back to school will be worthwhile. But if I fail - is there any use going back to university for 5 years, spending thousands of euros and not having any free time for myself? Well, I guess there is, because I really do want to become a teacher and every step on the way will be a useful experience, one way or another.

I will read through the books tonight, to get an idea of what I'm supposed to teach my students. And then I'll have to begin to plan the classes for the first week and look for more exercises and stuff.

I'm so terribly nervous and at the same time I'm thrilled! It feels like a new beginning.

BTW, I might not update my blog as much as I usually do next week, I guess I'll be pretty busy with my classes and going to the beach with my boys. I just hope I can throw in some yoga time for myself because I really, really do need my yoga now. I'm so glad I found yoga and made it part of my life.

0 comments: