Tuesday 5 June 2007

Moving by plane

My children and I moved to Morocco almost 2 years ago. At first, the idea was to live in Morocco for a year to see if we liked it here or not. Because of that, my hubby did not come with us. So it was just the boys and me who went on the great adventure of moving to an almost unknown country, which language we didn't speak, and with a culture quite different from ours.

We moved by plane, because we didn't know how long we would stay in Morocco, so why take too many things, right? Below you can see what we brought with us - which is not much for 3 persons moving to a new place. Basically, we brought the boys' favorite books and toys, some clothes and medicine. No scrap toys for me. :-( You scrappers probably understand my feelings of despair - I spent a whole year without scrapping! Luckily enough I was able to bring a few rubber stamps and some ink so I guess you can say I'm more of a stamper than a scrapper these days...


Well, we're still here! And we're staying... I don't now for how long but probably at least until the boys start university because by then they'll move to Spain and I'd love to return home so I guess that's a good time to make that move. *lol* My hubby's still in Sweden, because he has a good job and as you know, good positions don't grow on trees. :-( So right now we have a long distance relationship and yes, it works but nothing I would recommend for people not sure about their feelings. Anyway, this is not forever! Sooner or later we will be a "normal" family once again and until then, life just goes on....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know all too well about trying to pack life in a suitcase or two. That is how we moved to China too... just with a few suitcases!

Darshan Baruah said...

Talk about packing and unpacking and packing back again.It can be traumatic at times but then as u said "life goes on".Later on you actually cherish those moments

Mayogi said...

Yemi - I guess moving with a few bags/suitcases is the new way of life as people get more international. You can't really take EVERYTHING and move it across the planet if you're only planning on staying a few years. Unless you work for a very rich company that pays you to take it all with you.

Darshan - yup, packing, unpacking and packing back again can be very traumatic because you have to look at every single item and ask yourself - do I really really need this? What is more important - a pair of shoes or the boys' favourite book? At the same time it's quite terapeutic, you learn to get by without so much stuff. *lol* I'm not really a material girl anymore. ;-)