Sunday 10 June 2007

A walk in the Medina, part 1

I live in a city called Tetouan in French and Tetuán in Spanish. Its' history goes back to around 300 B.C. and both Romans and Phoenicians lived here.

The old town, called Medina, has been on the UNESCO World Heritage list since 1997. I love the Medina and I can spend hours and hours just walking around, watching people, houses, shops, etc.

Many people from the West get a bit scared when they first enter the Medina. The streets are narrow and always crowded. In some places the streets are so narrow and the houses are actually built over the streets, so there is no daylight coming through. Walking in the Medina is like being transported back to the Middle Ages and either you love it or you hate it. I personally LOVE the Medina and I wish I could learn it totally by heart and find out everything about it's history.





2 comments:

Melissa said...

What memories these pictures bring! I visited the medinas in Fez and Rabat. I absolutely LOVED them-felt like I was stepping back in time! They are so beautiful and different than anything we have here in the US. I was a bit intimidated though, being an American woman, but I was with many friends and we always had a guide to help us.

Unknown said...

You also remind me my trip to this exotic country! It was really cool holidays. My friend is living there and he has in Tetouan property and I stayed in his house, it was traditional Moroccan house with garden.
I spent in Morocco 5 days. I visited many sights and places which must seen.
And I know that in Fez Medina is also in UNESCO World Heritage list.
Thank you for blog an nice pictures.